On 08/06/2012 05:00 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
Even forgetting the hexadecimal gibberish, if there is any sort of local name that is
based on the router, switching routers is always going to be ugly. Ideally we want the
solution to be tied to something "in the cloud" so that the replacement router
can restore its brains.
I'd love to hear the plan.
For geeks, you register a domain, or pay a small monthly fee for a subdomain of
something like dyndns.org.   Maybe the brains for your router live there too,
so that if you replace it, you can just punch in your domain, and it figures
out the rest.   This works for geeks; everyone else uses friendly names
presented in a UI.

I think this is a similar issue with real live ULA's too: where does the
authoritative memory for site addressing ultimately reside? In real sites,
you pay people to make certain that such things are cared and tended for.
I don't know where that memory or clue comes from in a homenet.

Of course, I also think that ULAs ought to be allocated rather than guessed at,
which I gather is not a popular position.

I wonder how many fd:0:0:0:: networks are out there despite rfc 4193? If there
is any human involvement required whatsoever, I expect that the number
is very high.

Mike