On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 01:09:00PM -0400, Curtis Villamizar wrote:

> Yes this is a good suggestion.
>
> Examples:
>
>   printer3 is unqualified.
>
>   printer3.local. in mDNS is a LQDN.

Except, of course, that it's not a "DN" at all: it's not a domain
name.  It's an mDNS name.  Different protocol on a different port.
Most notably, mDNS always uses UTF-8 and DNS often does not, and
normally when you want to look up a Unicode string in the global DNS
what you actually look up is a name made of A-labels.

This is problematic, because if you just put

    http://café

in your browser's URL bar, you're going to get different behaviour
depending on your network, your browser, and your operating system.

I'm aware that from the user's point of view, they're all just names,
but I don't think it helps us as protocol people to gloss over the
differences among different name technologies that are all in use at
the same time.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com