On 08/09/2012 08:37 AM, Don Sturek wrote:
Hi Michael,

Your note below strangely proves the counterpoint (ie. "debutante ball"
for mDNS).

In your sample of 5, I am sure most (maybe all?) have some Apple product
of sometype.  If you actually had a packet sniffers in this study, you
will find these devices happily advertising and finding services using
mDNS without anyone typing in anything.

I don't think it's a counterpoint... i think it pretty much makes my
point that even if it's there -- which I suspect you're right about --
people don't know about it. I know for myself, it never occurred
to me that a location bar -- or worse in the case of Safari where it's
buried in a completely obscure place with an even more obscure
name (Bonjour, really??) -- might be used for something other than
global url's. The UI from a browser/web standpoint is all wrong,
and I suspect that the reasons are deeper than bizarre navigation.

Mike