In message <cc864fc3.1a27f%d.stu...@att.net>
Don Sturek writes:

> Hi Curtis,
>
> I would expect most Wi-Fi AP manufacturers to support the same address
> assignment they do today (ie, manual assignment and DHCP).  I would
> also expect as more IPv6 deployments happen that SLAAC will also be
> supported (and, yes, even for GUA).
>
> For the types of devices which will be added to Wi-Fi networks in the
> future (eg, headless devices like appliances, thermostats, etc.) that
> the preferred address assignment will be SLAAC and DHCPv6 (and, yes, I
> purposely did not remove SLAAC.....)
>
> Don

Don,

We seem to be talking past each other so let me again try to be clear.

What every host does is:

  if it has no MAC:
    pick a random link local (not ULA) address
  else
    use the MAC to create a ULA address
  run DAD to make sure no one else has same address

  send a RS

  if it gets RA
    use the RA prefix for SLAAC
  else
    time out and don't bother with SLAAC

then hopefully the host also does the following:

  send DHCPv6 client request

  if response
    it has yet another address to pick from if it got one using SLAAC
  else
    time out and get nothing from DHCPv6

Note: new extensions to DHCPv6 allow the host to tell DHCPv6 server
the address that it already has (from SLAAC).

If as in the case of your Wi-Fi with a bridging AP example, there is
no router to give it an DHCPv6 the link local or ULA addresses are
still there and still usable.  There is also no router to give it an
RA response so it has no SLAAC assigned address and no DHCPv6 assigned
address.

That is the end of your example.

If there is a router then there is something that can hand out a RA or
DHCPv6 response.

In the case were there exists multiple subnets and the CER has been
granted a /64 (or too few /64s to handle the number of subnets), then:

  it can use RA with /64 on some subnets and give them GUA addresses
  and some subnets have no access outside the homenet

  --or--

  it can not use RA (and therefore prevent SLAAC from being used) and
  hand out DHCPv6 addresses and make use of prefixes longer than /64.
  This prevents the use of CGA but get connectivity to the entire
  homenet.

If every consumer oriented provider is willing to allocate prefixes
shorter than /64 on request to home users, then the above situation
never occurs.  If it does, my argument is that the second option above
is better than the first.

Curtis