On Nov 14, 2012, at 10:41 PM, james woodyatt <j...@apple.com> wrote:
> However notionally easy this problem is to address, I imagine that practical
> matters, at some point, must rise to the top of the pile of points to
> consider.

Those hosts are broken.   They can't work in a multi-homed environment.
Millions of hosts is very close to zero.   Do you want to wait to solve this
problem until there are billions?

Most of those hosts are Macs, iOS devices and Android devices, which can be
upgraded easily and are upgraded frequently (at least according to the stats I
follow).   So please just fix this bug in iOS and MacOS, instead of arguing
that the situation is hopeless.

We are building a network protocol suite for the future, not the present.
IPv4 was broken in various ways when it was at the stage of deployment IPv6 is
at.   Measures were not taken to solve some of its problems in the IETF, and as
a consequence ugly hacks were done in the field to work around these problems.

It is not our job to prognosticate about what might get deployed.   It is to
try to figure out what should get deployed.   It is perfectly okay if what we
propose takes ten years to see widespread deployment.