On Nov 13, 2012, at 21:30 , joel jaeggli <joe...@bogus.com> wrote:
> On 11/13/12 9:20 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>>
>> Why do you believe we need coordination between service providers to permit
>> multihomed services to work well? I thought the whole idea was to handle
>> multiple upstream prefixes and make sure everything is routed to the correct
>> ISP?
>
> If coordination is required, it's not going to work.

Let's put on our thinking caps.  Say I have a HOMENET with two
provider-provisioned border gateways, each from different providers.

Let's call them ALFA Broadband and BRAVO Networks.  Say that ALFA delegates
2001:db8:aaaa::/64 to me and BRAVO delegates 2001:db8:bbbb::/64 to me (yes,
they could delegate shorter prefixes, but let's say I have only one link to
number, so the prefixes above are the ones that each gateway will be
advertising in Router Advertisement messages on my HOMENET link).

When they're both up and running, each router is a default gateways on my link.
 Each host gets two prefixes on the link, i.e. 2001:db8:aaaa::/64 and
2001:db8:bbbb::/64 and a default router list comprising both the gateways for
ALFA and BRAVO.

Given how the hosts in the field today behave, only one of the routers will be
forwarding outbound packets.  Which is fine.  Let's say my gateway from ALFA is
the default router all my hosts always pick, i.e. it's at the front of the
default router list. Now let's say a host on my network chooses to connect to a
remote destination where source address selection rules say that it should pick
an address from the BRAVO prefix delegation.  The SYN packet with source
address 2001:db8:bbbb::XXXXX goes to the ALFA router.  What does it do with
that?

- Does it forward the packet?  If so, then the return path will be asymmetric,
i.e. it will come back through my BRAVO gateway.  Asymmetric paths are the
reason 6to4 anycast is broken.  I thought we learned our lesson about that.
Maybe not all of us did, but I bet we soon will if we keep going this road.

- Does it recognize the 2001:db8:bbbb::/64 prefix and redirect to the BRAVO
router?  If so, then how does it know to do that?  Coordination, because
routers don't process Router Advertisements, so the ALFA gateway won't have
reason to know about the BRAVO prefix unless it makes an exception to the
standard rules.  I'm not optimistic that the players involved will have any
incentive to adopt protocols that enable that happen.    This all sounds very
squirrelly to me, and the incentives to do it seem completely missing in action.

(By the way, how do you redirect a whole prefix?  You don't.  How do you cancel
a redirection?  You don't.  How do we fix this?  By getting 6MAN to revise
Router Advertisements and rolling out new host implementations everywhere.
Good luck with that.  Oh but wait: maybe, the ALFA router doesn't redirect, but
it forwards instead.  Path asymmetry again— just not as badly asymmetric as it
would otherwise be, i.e. asymmetry is confined to the local link.)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think this is really an intractable problem,
given what I know about it.

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
core os networking