On 22/02/2013 04:50, Fred Baker (fred) wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2013, at 1:54 PM, Michael Richardson
> <m...@sandelman.ca> wrote:
>
>> For a network where there is more than one ISP, is it
>> acceptable for a CPE that has decided that it is
>> PREFIX1:0123::/64, to "randomly" decide to be
>> PREFIX2:0123::/64?
>
> I don't see why not, at least in the home.
>
> There is a case, which homenet hasn't thought much about that
> I'm aware of, which is renumbering a network.

Surely, in a homenet, it's very much the case that (as Fred has
hinted over in 6renum) the issue is "numbering" rather than
renumbering. I may be too much of an energy conservation nut for
most people, but my homenet is cold-started and numbered most
mornings, because it is powered off at bedtime.

However, I can see no harm in sticky subnet numbering, as long
as the new prefix isn't long enough to overwrite the old subnet
numbers.

> You'll notice
> in my draft that if the autoconfig prefix is withdrawn, I
> expect prefixes dependent on it to be withdrawn, and if
> stored in permanent storage, erased. The implication is that
> if the same prefix is then readvertised, there's a good
> chance that all of the subnet numbers will change. I know of
> at least one scenario where that would be considered a
> desirable characteristic. But I don't think that case is, at
> least at this point, a general case or one I would specify
> beyond a "MAY".

Actually, do you even need a formal "MAY"? It's an implementer
choice, isn't it?

  Brian