Sent from ipv6-only Android
On Feb 26, 2013 8:19 PM, "Ole Troan" <o...@cisco.com> wrote:

> >> Ok. I see it in the charter. I dont find it particularly appealing or
worth a great trade off for the level of complexity involved. Especially if
the tradeoffs require nat66 or something similarly complex

> > Touché.
> >
> > Seriously, though, the point of routing in the home is that you really
don't want to bridge disparate media, and you want routers plugged together
by people who don't know about routing to create a happy, functioning
network, not a dysfunctional network that sort of works but is never
satisfactory.

> exactly.
>
> the arguments I've heard are:
>  - people just plug in whatever they bought, it must work regardless of
being a router or a bridge

How does routing make this better for a homenet ? Ethernet  supports
arbitrary topologies.

>  - not all link-layers can be bridged together e.g. 802.15.4

Whos requirement is that? Is it a primary use case or can be a stub L3 link

>  - problems with bridging links with very different speed characteristics
e.g. 802.11 and 1G wired

Routing is better?

>  - isolation between networks with different policy, e.g. guest networks,
internal home automation, public wifi

Seems like homenet is trying to devine the special sauce that makes
Frankenstein come alive.

Warning ... my home network includes exactly 1 802.11g AP that cost $50 6
years ago and effectively is Zero configuration.

CB