>>>>> "fred" == fred  <Baker (fred)" <f...@cisco.com>> writes:
    fred> my draft that if the autoconfig prefix is withdrawn, I expect
    fred> prefixes dependent on it to be withdrawn, and if stored in
    fred> permanent storage, erased. The implication is that if the same
    fred> prefix is then readvertised, there's a good chance that all of
    fred> the subnet numbers will change. I know of at least one
    fred> scenario where that would be considered a desirable
    fred> characteristic. But I don't think that case is, at least at
    fred> this point, a general case or one I would specify beyond a
    fred> "MAY".

Assuming that the random "seed" is not erased, or that another prefix
has been announced before the original withdrawn, then the seed might
persist.   (Remember that ULA prefix...)

Can you elaborate the scenario where a subnet-id renumbering would be
desireable, and would we want to actually signal this situation
explicitely?

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [