On 03/13/2013 11:20 AM, Tim Chown wrote:

I think there is an unanswered question in this wg as to whether
naming should take a posture of how to integrate local naming into a wider
global scope, or figuring out how to adapt globally scoped naming into a
local context. In practical terms: whether we start with mdns and .local
and figure out how to hack it, or do we start with DNS and figure out how
to make it work against requirements. I will again say that the lack of
well agreed requirements for what we're doing hinders resolving this
question.
I don't think that needs to be dictated here.  We should be able to drive that
from the principles that we can (hopefully) reach consensus on.

This is an architecture document: if not here, where? This is a basic
architectural issue, and deserves to be fleshed out. What is the relationship
of homenet naming to global naming?  What happens in the face of mobility?
What is the relationship of a local naming to global naming? What are the
problems that need to be resolved if local naming is used? What are the
problems that need to be resolved if global naming is used? What are the
requirements that any proposed solution needs to fulfill?

All of this is lacking in section 3.7. If I were a contractor using this
"architecture"
I wouldn't know what to build.

Mike