On 08/12/2013 01:54 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
A more important factor is the size of the memory on the devices,
a box with 8MB memory will have problem with running many services,
but many boxes sold today have 32-128MB memory (both NVRAM and RAM)

An additional point is that all home routers sold in the last 10 years
or so have enough RAM to perform stateful NAT for hundreds of
connections.  Anything that can do stateful NAT can do IPv6 and
link-state routing without effort.

The community mesh networking community (ahem) has a lot of experience
with cheap boxes.  Henning will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as
I am aware,

   - no box sold in the last few years has RAM issues (kernel+v4+v6+well
     implemented routing daemon fit in 32 Megs with plenty to spare);
   - some older boxes lack flash, this is not an issue on recent boxes;
   - some popular cheap boxes used to have power supply issues
     (overheating and crashing under load).

As flash and RAM keep getting cheaper, I expect the power supply to
increasingly become the main problematic component.

Older (and cheap) home-routers had typically 4 MB flash and 16 MB RAM. You can run a dualstack router with routing protocol on this, but you have to be a bit careful not to overdo bloated additional software.

Many current home-routers have 32 MB RAM (some have more), some more "expensive" ones (40$ and more) also upgrade the flash to 8 or 16 MB.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE