Juliusz,

On 03/02/2014 08:53, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>> I happen to have one in mind. It's discussed for the case of
>> carrier networks in
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jiang-config-negotiation-ps-02
>
> I've now read this draft.  Section 2.4 says things that I never even
> considered, and I need to think it over.  (In particular, functionality
> such as what you describe there would be marvelous for monitoring tools.)
>
> There's only one point that I disagree with.  In Section 4 you say:
>
>     Multi-party negotiations are too complicated to be modeled and
>     there may be too many dependencies among the parties to converge
>     efficiently.
>
> If I read you right, you're disallowing the familiar claim/defend
> scheme, where a node claims an address over multicast, and waits for
> other nodes to disagree.  (The best-known case is probably that of
> DHCPv4, where implementations commonly make an ARP query before
> assigning an address, but there's no reason why this shouldn't be an
> intrinsic part of the configuration protocol.)

I don't think we intended to exclude that, but there may well
be scenarios where suitably scoped multicast isn't available.

We were concerned about guaranteed convergence in a multi-party
scenario, which seems tractable with (reasonably reliable)
multicast. Anyway, this aspect needs more thought, thanks!

   Brian