Ted,

>> actually, we're talking about prefix assignment. which may be splitting
>> hairs, but isn't quite the same as prefix delegation.
>
> Splain?   You mean we're talking about the general problem, rather than the
> DHCP-PD solution?   If so, that's fine, but the specific comment that Markus
> made was about DHCP PD, and that's what I was responding to.   I am not
> specifically advocating the use of DHCP PD to solve this problem, but I do
> want to see it evaluated realistically, and not on the basis of a
> misunderstanding of what it does and how it's used.

as one of the authors of RFC3633, DHCP PD was not designed to do assignment of
prefixes inside a network.
DHCP PD was designed to be a "fax replacement".

there has been a number of proposals for how DHCP PD could be adapted for this
purpose:

they generally fall into one of flat assignment with central DHCP server or
hierarchical PD with a spanning tree of DHCP relays.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-homenet-prefix-assignment-01
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chakrabarti-homenet-prefix-alloc-01
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gmann-homenet-relay-autoconf-01
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grundemann-hipnet-00

please take a look at those drafts, and let us know what we've missed in the
DHCP PD "solution space".

cheers,
Ole