Dear colleagues:

I think it would be a mistake not to consider highly constrained networks and
devices at first. If one would like to get anywhere close to 30-50 billion
interconnected objects (the rosy marketing numbers by Cisco and Intel
referenced everywhere), there is an absolute requirement to make trust
lifecycle management and network management overhead virtually disappear,
without the need for human intervention, except in exceptional cases. Without
almost zero cost over the *entire* lifecycle of a device, while at the same
time assuring a mix of ease of use - flexibility - security, forecasted
internet of things type deployments figures may never materialize. Any solution
direction that would not consider foremost the constraints of the deployment
category that will soon outnumber all others should be discouraged. If one
closely examines and designs for the nimble objects in the universe, it would
obviously also fit for the less nimble; the other way around, this does not
necessarily hold.

As argued before, I do agree with comments that solid footing for the effort
needs more work (which, I think, has been echoed by the group during conf calls
and by the AD).

Best regards, Rene

==
So should we say in the charter that the scope is everything but the initial
focus is enterprise and carrier?

Markus,