On Oct 1, 2014, at 9:44 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1) One reason for not stating homenet as part of the scope is
> that we do not want to interfere with the current progress in
> homenet. Personally I think there is a lot to learn from
> homenet, but as I just said to Pierre, we are too late to affect
> homenet's choices. I will be delighted if the results can be
> applied to homenets in future, of course.

> If we were having this discussion 5 years ago, I would agree.
> But you homenet guys are ahead of us.

Yes and no.

Yes, homenet is ahead of anima in terms of, say, a distributed IPv6 prefix
configuration algorithm. This is one of the first things the group began
tackling, so there's quite a bit of water under the bridge here. However, while
I have seen a lot of recent effort in security, homenet has a long way to go
here. This happens to be something I get the impression anima has been working
on for quite a while.

You say that you wish to learn from what homenet has done, yet the current
proposed anima charter says:

...autonomic service agents will demonstrate the usage of the above
mentioned autonomic infrastructure components with two use cases:

o A solution for distributed IPv6 prefix management within a network.
Although prefix delegation is currently supported, it relies on human
action to subdivide and assign prefixes according to local requirements,
and this process could become autonomic.

This use case is precisely what draft-ietf-homenet-prefix-assignment does
(which has roots all the way back to draft-arkko-homenet-prefix-assignment-00
in October 2011). So to homenet, this is a solved problem - with an algorithm
that has been applied not just to HNCP, but to OSPF and ISIS.

I do think that there is room for a non-distributed algorithm that is tied more
to centralized mechanisms, particularly as you move closer to a more tightly
managed system. But for a distributed approach, as you observed Brian, homenet
is rather far along.

This is just the most obvious example that jumps out at me. There may be
something similar to say about HNCP itself, the use of src+dst routing, etc. In
any case, It's not hard to extrapolate from here that in a year's time or so,
if we continue on the current trajectory, homenet will have come up with its
own non-anima secure bootstrapping, and anima will have come up with its own
non-homenet distributed IPv6 prefix configuration.

- Mark