On 3.3.2015, at 18.04, Michael Sweet <msw...@apple.com> wrote:
>> I just tried this. I was on the same subnet on wired ethernet and on wifi
>> (etablished the call on wired with disabled wifi, enabled wifi, waited 30
>> seconds, then unplugged wired) using my OSX macbook, using Skype voice
>> session with another skype user, and it took around 10 seconds to detect the
>> outage, and another 20 seconds to re-establish the call.
> 30 seconds is not a huge amount of time, and certainly that could be
> improved, but it doesn’t point to a need for or that it would be useful to
> make massive changes to the core networking APIs...

If my phone call breaks for 30 seconds, I will cut the call, curse phone
operator to deepest pit of hell, try to recall, fail, and perhaps iterate this
2-3 times during the 30 seconds. I am not sure why this would be acceptable on
IP based service.

>> I tried the same procedure with Facetime audio, and it disconnected the call
>> after 10 seconds and didn't try to establish it again until I manually did
>> something.
> I think FaceTime audio doesn't reconnect while FaceTime video does, but I'm
> not connected to the team that does that software so I'm not 100% sure...
> Regardless, that is just a marketing/HI decision, not a technical one.

Sounds very strange if marketing/HI makes technical decisions that should not
be visible to the user (except in the negative case like this one). That
explains why my Mac Pro behaves so badly though.

>> Mosh fixes this with a 1-2 second outage.
> Good for Mosh.

I am even more curious about mp-mosh[1], is there any outage with it at all?

Cheers,

-Markus

[1] https://github.com/boutier/mosh