Markus Stenberg wrote:
On 26.8.2015, at 16.17, Juliusz Chroboczek<j...@pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr>
wrote:
I guess we might as well simply recommend MDNS
Fair enough, assuming there is mDNS proxying in the Homenet.  (Or should
we be speaking on ff05::fb and counting on Pierre to do some magic?)

It is not really an option - it requires serious host changes.

Of course, if you’re completely crazy you could do some sort of linklocal ->
sitelocal ->  linklocal translation, but I would rather not go there especially as
you would want to eliminate e.g. linklocal addresses from A/AAAA records =conflict
resolution breaks =>  oops.

The options in increasing level of evil from my point of view are:

- DHCPv6 (ha ha! but at least it is simple in this case)
- hybrid proxy (rather complex but works)
- mdns-to-mdns proxying (complex, fragile, easy to break)

Cheers,

-Markus
IMHO This is a very worthwhile discussion that we've glossed over for a long time.

I've seen several drafts over the course of the Homenet WG.

e.g. https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-03 discusses how DNS can be bootstrapped and parent domains delegated to a Homenet Border Router.

So that seems to be one portion of the overall jigsaw.

And https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-jeong-homenet-device-name-autoconf-03.txt talks about each device auto-naming then the router performing discovery using NI [RFC4620] coupled with dynamic update [RFC2136] to seed LLN devices into the (global) DNS.

We also have https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7558/?include_text=1 that details requirements for extending mDNS e.g. linking mDNS sub-domains of the parent namespace to physical interfaces.

Meanwhile windows in the enterprise generally uses a delegated portion of the overall DNS namespace such as win.company.com and it's own update mechanisms internally.

So what are the expectations/requirements for naming in Homenet, and particularly host - router interaction?

How will name registration work?
Are we looking at a single flat name space?
How will name conflicts be resolved?
Are we looking at a name space that is link dependent?
Are we looking at a name space that includes delegations via subdomains for special devices or technologies? Are we looking at supporting nodes that roam from link to link often within the Homenet? What about devices that couple and uncouple from the Homenet? (mobile phones with wifi and 3G) Is this going to turn into (another) DNS/mDNS war, or is there a model in which the two can peacefully co-exist?
e.g. query mDNS first? query both simultaneously?
e.g. seed mDNS into a DNS delegated domain?
e.g. translate mDNS queries into DNS and perhaps vice versa?

How will resolution work?
Will the end host be responsible for performing multiple resolution? Or the Homenet router? Are we looking at electing a single authoritative DNS server for all of Homenet? With standby?
Or one DNS server per Homenet Border Router?
Or is every Homenet device a DNS/name server and we deploy a (large) search list.

Perhaps most importantly: What mechanisms do common host operating systems support today?

Regards,
RayH