Alexandru Petrescu <mailto:alexandru.petre...@gmail.com>
2 Sep 2015 11:31

Le 01/09/2015 18:06, Ray Hunter a écrit :
inline

Alexandru Petrescu wrote:

Le 12/08/2015 14:20, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) a écrit :

While I pay for it, I never use the millions of WiFi access points I
can
use here in the Netherlands. I tried it once, walking in a small
city. At
the time the handover was completed, the connectivity was gone.

This is a question of use-cases.  In a city yes there are many
hotspots but also yes they're sparsely distributed - you must handover
to something else in between.  In a home network they'd be densely
distributed, could hand-over directly, or not at all.
Actually they're pretty densely distributed around me.

There's one AP per household (via the cable TV provider) which has an
SSID for dedicated use.

These also support the guest/roaming access using a common SSID
identical on all APs.

YEs.

There are 5 apartments within wifi range of my desktop (I can see that
via the dedicated SSID).
And I find 12 on my mobile if I walk to the balcony.

I can agree. I guess while the beacons are seen strong, once connected the strength becomes lower for some reason.

Also, automatic handing-over to such apparently dense hotspots is hampered on-purpose by administrative will: security keys, captive portals, acceptance conditions, and more.

It's a problem in home networks and also while travelling: airport, hotel, restaurant networks.

I am not sure how to relate this precisely to homenet WG...

Alex
Homenet has created multiple L3 routed wifi networks.

I think we'll probably have to wait for DMM to nail down thier potnetial solutions before drawing firm conclusions. There's not a lot of specific information in the DMM WG documents I read so far, as it's early days.

But I think it's fair to conclude that there'll be some interaction with /extension of HNCP required (for selecting and configuring IP anchors and SSIDs).

You could be moving a lot and never handing over, as much as you could
sit and do many hand-overs per second.

Such use-cases and reqs are described in DMM WG documents.

ACK

Alex

 It might
have to do with IEEE and IETF mismatch. Same SSID shall have same IP
subnet (IEEE) versus each link has its own subnet (some of IETF, no
formal statement...).

Of course, if every SSID has its own 192.168.0.0/24, oups, this is
legacy
IP, so, not a Homenet topic :-O

Sorry could not resist

-éric