Le 30/11/2015 15:18, Dave Taht a écrit :
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swm...@swm.pp.se> wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015, Dave Taht wrote:

Well, in the two or more radio (2.4 and 5ghz) case, you can easily roam
between the two radios with many chipsets. Some chipsets only allow one
active radio at a time, however.

Does this actually work in real life? Considering the solutions I found

Using linux, with ath9k gear, worked for 7 years. On nearly everything
else, rare.

doing my quick search, it seems the AP vendors are implementing all kinds of
solutions to trick the client that it's just one single large network with a
single AP, even though it's a lot of them.

For instance:
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205144590-UniFi-What-is-Zero-Handoff-

yes, it's a mess.

Parsing that URL... if one wants zero latency handoff in WiFi one tries to strip all link-layer messages (incl. security) and operate outside the context of a BSSID.

It's even worse than that...

So while I would prefer a solution in the end with make-before-break and
seamless handover without breaking the IP layer at all, this seems to
involve quite a lot of new functionality both from the Network (which is
doable) and from the client (also doable, but a lot harder, especially
within current charter).

I would not mind at all if the ietf had a wg with the ieee and the
wifi alliance and whoever else might care, to make wifi better in a
huge variety of ways.

It's already ongoing in some groups at IETF, e.g. 6lo WG considering 11ah (draft-delcarpio-6lo-wlanah-00). Also there are some I-Ds (like draft-petrescu-ipv6-over-80211p-03.txt) looking for a home.

Other possible ways is to question how would IP work over 802.11

The IEEE efforts for a better WiFi may translate into a need for a better IP: more bandwidth 802.11ad, ax (a highly efficient IP?), and lower energy ah (an IP over typical LLC?) and operation at a yet-uncrowded 60GHz (an expensive IP?). Not to mention this EUI-128 identifier which should lead to forgetting the EUI-64-derived /64 barrier altogether.

Alex

I remain perpetually astonished that a technology beloved by and used
by billions (with billions to come) has so few advocates, so few
working on actual interoperability, so many bad implementations, and
so little research funding.

the general public has their priorities straight:

https://www.google.se/search?q=image+hierarchy+of+needs+wifi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi32M36qbjJAhWEqnIKHSseCiMQ_AUIBygB&biw=1135&bih=1072

For those that haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-UnHDw02o

I am happy that a little bit of funding towards merely getting per
station queuing working looks to arrive next year.

Tackling handoff in any sane way with the current mess, looks harder.