Of course, we _want_ certificates to expire and be renewed.   So
reducing the window of vulnerability that devices with no RTCs is
worth doing; using protocols that do not allow for time-based
rejection of authentication information is worse than using a rough
estimate of the time if we don't have an accurate clock.