>> I could be wrong, but I believe that Dyn was DDoSed by the Mirai botnet,
>> which propagates by exploiting devices configured with default credentials.
>> This has nothing to do with outdated firmwares.

> The problem is that you cannot realistically update those firmwares.

Philip -- please read my mail again.  The Dyn attack has nothing to do
with out-of-date firmwares.

I cannot stress this enough: out-of-date firmwares are the least of our
problems at this stage.  We're being attacked by devices that ship with
a well-known default password, and in some cases by devices that ship with
a well-known backdoor that's impossible to disable:

  https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/40397.html

-- Juliusz