Ted - thanks for posting a clear summary of the situation for WG discussion and
consensus.  Two questions in line…

> On Dec 12, 2016, at 10:46 AM, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
>
> One thing that I think the working group should be aware of, although I don't
> know if this awareness will change anything, is that the situation with the
> .homenet allocation is less simple than we would prefer: it's not really
> simply a matter of adding .homenet to the special use domain names registry.
>  The reason is that we need DNS resolution to work properly for domains under
> .homenet, and this has to work even if a host is doing DNSSEC validation.
>
> At present, if you were to configure a homenet router with .home or .homenet
> as the local domain, this would work perfectly nicely until you turned on
> DNSSEC validation, at which point all the names in either hierarchy would
> disappear.   The reason for this is that the root zone provides proof of
> nonexistence for nonexistent names in that zone.
>
> It is possible to address this problem by requesting ICANN to put an insecure
> delegation in the root zone.   The problem is that from a process
> perspective, this is a _lot_ more heavyweight than doing a special-use domain
> name allocation, and has no guarantee of success.   This wasn't such an issue
> for .onion when we did it, because .onion _wants_ a secure denial of
> existence--we _never_ want a .onion query to actually happen if the name has
> been handed to a resolver that doesn't understand .onion explicitly.   This
> is not true for .homenet.
>
> There are two approaches we can take to this.   One is to proceed--ask ICANN
> to do the delegation and see what happens.   The other is to take the more
> expedient, less satisfying approach: use .home.arpa instead of .homenet.
> I'm not in love with this as an end solution, but it has the advantage that
> the IAB controls .arpa, and so we can get an unsecure delegation right away
> assuming the IAB agrees.   I see no reason to think they would not.   It's a
> bit more typing, and there is the problem that the fourth google result for
> arpa is "Advanced Research Projects Agency.   But it would work, and quickly,
> and would keep the whole process in the family.
>
> The other alternative is to continue with the original plan: do the
> special-use names registry allocation, and send a liason to ICANN asking them
> to do the unsecure delegation.   The downside to this approach is that we
> won't know whether the outcome will be success or failure for a long time,
> possibly several years.   And the outcome could very well be failure.   The
> upside is that we get the name we all want; the downside is that we are a
> long way down the road with no win.

So, now I’m a little confused by the alternatives; for clarity, does the
paragraph that begins “The other alternative” refer back to the “ask ICANN to
do the delegation” approach?

> I should point out that whichever way we go, we already have solved the
> immediate problem: we have a name that HNCP can use, the potential liability
> for IETF is dealt with, and our prototypes can be made to work.

Are you referring to “.home”, “.homenet”, “.home.arpa” or some other name to
use as the HNCP default?

- Ralph