On Dec 12, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Ralph Droms <rdroms.i...@gmail.com
<mailto:rdroms.i...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> There are two approaches we can take to this.   One is to proceed--ask ICANN
>> to do the delegation and see what happens.   The other is to take the more
>> expedient, less satisfying approach: use .home.arpa instead of .homenet.
>> I'm not in love with this as an end solution, but it has the advantage that
>> the IAB controls .arpa, and so we can get an unsecure delegation right away
>> assuming the IAB agrees.   I see no reason to think they would not.   It's a
>> bit more typing, and there is the problem that the fourth google result for
>> arpa is "Advanced Research Projects Agency.   But it would work, and
>> quickly, and would keep the whole process in the family.
>>
>> The other alternative is to continue with the original plan: do the
>> special-use names registry allocation, and send a liason to ICANN asking
>> them to do the unsecure delegation.   The downside to this approach is that
>> we won't know whether the outcome will be success or failure for a long
>> time, possibly several years.   And the outcome could very well be failure.
>>  The upside is that we get the name we all want; the downside is that we are
>> a long way down the road with no win.
>
> So, now I’m a little confused by the alternatives; for clarity, does the
> paragraph that begins “The other alternative” refer back to the “ask ICANN to
> do the delegation” approach?

Possibly I could have proofread that one more time before I sent it.   The
other alternative that I am referring to in the second paragraph is the first
alternative I referred to in the first paragraph.   That is, _not_ the
expedient version.

>> I should point out that whichever way we go, we already have solved the
>> immediate problem: we have a name that HNCP can use, the potential liability
>> for IETF is dealt with, and our prototypes can be made to work.
>
> Are you referring to “.home”, “.homenet”, “.home.arpa” or some other name to
> use as the HNCP default?

What I mean is that whichever alternative we proceed with, we can use that name
as the new name to put into the HNCP spec.   So either .homenet or .home.arpa.