Juliusz Chroboczek <j...@irif.fr> writes:

>> Why? What is wrong with the owner of the network selecting which devices
>> / services he/she wants globally reachable
>
> I don't think this is about global reachability (which is hopefully
> managed by PCP), it's about exporting names into the global DNS. We
> ought to distinguish the two -- you can be remotely reachable without
> publishing your name in the DNS.

Fair enough.

>> without each device/service having to implement (and be configured for)
>> an external naming provider?
>
> Roughly 100% of Homenet devices don't need a name in the global DNS --
> neither SIP, nor Skype, nor BitTorrent, nor syncthing, nor anything
> else that normal people run in their home relies on the DNS for
> locating remote peers.

Well, those all work because they use a "giant MITM in the cloud"
rendezvous point. If publishing things into global DNS worked reliably
and automatically, and we had IPv6 everywhere, such designs would not be
needed...

> In the rare case where a device needs to be in the global DNS (and the
> only case I can see is that of a web server), I'd much rather
> configure that on the device itself than on the buggy web interface of
> my ISP-provided CPE (or, even worse, "in the cloud").

Right, I can certainly see where you're coming from with this :)

-Toke