Readers:

Hans Pizka makes a very good statement concerning quality of valves.
Last month, at the Western Horn Conference (University of Las Vegas), I
had the opportunity to try out several instruments, domestic and
foreign manufacture.

Without exception valves of foreign manufacture had a much better
"feel" when playing (response, security) than the 'mass produced' horns
by the big instrument companies.

When I went to Jim Patterson's booth to try out his new prototype horns
(Wow!), I was really knocked out with his valves.  He said that he got
his valves from German manufacturer (the name escapes me), but he said
that it has been his experience that those valves of German manufacture
were clearly superior to those he had experience.

As Hans rightly states, these valves are not cheap.  When I inquired
about the price tag of Jim's instrument, he stated that the valves
alone for the instrument ran over $1000 US.  Being that this is one of
the most crucial elements, it makes sense to get the best mechanics one
can.

Certainly, smaller exclusive makers may have more quality control that
those of larger companies (eg. Alexander, Miraphone), but even so, I
have found those valves clearly superior to common domestic
instruments.

There is such a demand for mass produced instruments by public schools
and hornists of all abilities, the large instrument manufacturing
companies cannot take the time nor the expense to produce an instrument
as exquisitely crafted/aligned as do the custom/hand made makers.

It is not that these instruments are "bad," in fact it is the opposite.
 As a rule, common instruments are of much better quality (workmanship,
design, acoustical research) than when I was a youngster.  Even the
student line horns of today rival some of the instruments produced in
the 40's - 60's.

Sincerely,

Eldon Matlick

=====
Dr. Eldon Matlick,  Horn Professor, University of Oklahoma
Principal Hornist, OK City Philharmonic
500 W Boyd
Norman, OK  73019
(405) 325-4093 off. (405) 325-7574 fax