Well, Dave, such a lapping difference of a few thousandths, well , why lapping
different, if the same "loseness" is achieved by just different screwing of the back
screw. The valve body (mainly a cylinder, but taper for 1 or 2 degrees) fits into the
valve like a glass stop into the glass bootle (caraffe). Pushing it less verse the
bottom (by the back screw), leaves the valve looser a bit. But there are myths within
the community of brass players ...... many myths  .... most of them used as a cheap
excuse for ones own failure ore difficulties. Brass makers live on these myths. Why
not ? Customer demand is like an order.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> --
> In a message dated 11/26/2002 12:02:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

> > I doubt, please admit my doubt, if professionals get the valves lapped
> > looser to have better slurs, if professionals (like myself) getting
> > disturbed just if the valve closing is out of the markings for just a
> > quarter of a millimeter (1/100 of an inch), if other people run crazy if
> > the spare mouthpiece has a bore just different for a tenth of a millimeter
> > or if the inner rim diameter is narrower for 0,5 millimeters (2/100 of an
> > inch).
> >

> Yes, I agree with you about the tightness of valves in general, however there
> are just such players who want valves lapped looser in the casings.  And of
> course, by that I mean by perhaps an extra thousandth or so of an inch.  I
> don't know anyone who wants loose bearings.  The bearings should be as
> perfect as possible.
>
> Dave Weiner

Prof.Hans Pizka
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] tel.: +49 89 903 9548 - www.pizka.de  (horn site) with