From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 01:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Drum-Line: The Movie

--

I have always enjoyed the conversations on this website, but I have refrained from
responding my opinions. The latest negative comments regarding DCI has hit me on a
personal level. The reason is that drum camp/bugle corps, while maybe not the perfect
medium for teaching music, offered an opportunity for "under-privileged" kids with no
outlet or hope to be part of something positive in their lives. As a 9 yr old
inner-city child, my parents were not educated or had the financial means to provide
their children with anything more than what the inner-city had to offer. I am here to
tell you that if it wasn`t for the drum camp bugle corps program, I would not have had
any discipline or interest in playing any instument. As a child with no exposure to
music this was the only outlet for self expression. All horn players know how
difficult it is to play a natural horn well, and perfectly in tune, not to mention
playing with passion as the composer intended. I was fortunate enough at a very early
age to learn to play a french horn bugle, with limited valve capabilities, which gave
me the strength of embouchre and heart that I carry with me today.   It is unfortunate
that the critics of late have negatively judged something that they were obviously
fortunate enough not to need a program that catered to "children without".  Drum Camp
bugle corps were founded in the 1950`s by the American Legion & VFW. The youth
organizations grew over the years to become DCI. How could something so successful and
progressive for so many decades be viewed today as insignificant and not respected as
a legitimate musical outlet for young people. Not only I, but I am sure others that
grew up with drum camp bugle corps, would be outraged at the ignorant comments made by
those that don`t understand the impact of what drum camp bugle corps meant to us as
young musicians.  This is just one horn players personal experience that may have been
unconventional back then, but has grown to be an international organization.