Message text written by The Horn List
>A week or so ago I watched a televised concert with the Vienna Phil. I
can't  remember now what they were playing or where, but I was struck by
the fact that one of the two hornplayers was playing what seemed to be a
full-double "german" horn while the other (principal) hornist was playing a
Vienna horn.
I thought that the VPO only used Vienna horns - have I been wrong about
this or was this concert an exception.
Can anyone shed any light?<

Dear All

The British player John Brownlee (who subsequently became 1st horn of the
BBC orchestra in Cardiff) was  1st horn in a Viennese Orchestra (I think
the Symphony Orchestra of Lower Austria) in the early 70s and, during this
time,  he played 7th horn as an extra in a recording of Strauss' 'Ein
Heldenleben' on his Kruspe double with the VPO.  He said that it was
otherwise totally a section of Vienna horns and he was the 'odd man out'.
Incidentally, he also said that his own management readily gave him the
time off to do this gig;  their attitude was "what an honour it is for our
orchestra that our 1st horn is being asked to record with the VPO!"

Cheers

Paul A. Kampen, 4th horn - Orchestra of Opera North (Leeds UK)
                                  Horn Tutor - Leeds Music College