Have to pretty much echo this - Holtons were known
for tight valves 40-some years ago.  The factory
was proud of how tight.  They were also typically
slow.  Nothing new; it's often true of their best
horns, and the fix is to have a GOOD repairman
work on them.  Sometimes you can get that from the
factory, sometimes not.  When it's done right, the
valves work fast, don't leak, don't require much
oil, and the job lasts a LONG time.

A good valve job will bring SUCH a smile to your face!
Also, a good repairman can increase the spring tension
slightly, which some (myself included) prefer.

You CAN indeed string the valves too tight, and this
will slow them down.  If you're using a good braided
nylon string, adjusting won't be difficult.