You might want to try loading it up with al cass or even a good chemical
clean.  I once owned a 176 merker that was a terrible horn and came new from the
factory with some not so lightning fast valves- the second valve seized up
after about a good month of regular playing.  I sent it to my repairman and he
said the valves were corroded from sitting in the back of a music store- a good
chemical clean and I was ready to trade it off for something decent- an elkhart
8d!

There's my two cents.......plus a quarter for owning a holton for a length of
time...lol

hoss The tired     (no really it's really late here)