Don't knock the 6D.  Put on a smaller leadpipe and play it with a large, bowl
shaped mouthpiece (e.g., Schilke 31B).  The 6D was designed by James
Stagliano, and used in the Boston Symphony.  Matches well with old Kruspe and
Alexander.  Elkhart 6Ds are a steal.  The standard 6D leadpipe just seems too large to
ever have been used by Stagliano, with his 18 millimeter mouthpiece.  I
suspect Conn switched to it in production because so many 6Ds were sold to
youngsters probably using small mouthpieces.  My theory, anyway.