At 03:02 PM 9/4/03 -0400, you wrote:

Don't knock the 6D. Put on a smaller leadpipe and play it with a large, bowl
shaped mouthpiece (e.g., Schilke 31B). The 6D was designed by James
Stagliano, and used in the Boston Symphony. Matches well with old Kruspe and
Alexander. Elkhart 6Ds are a steal. The standard 6D leadpipe just seems too large to
ever have been used by Stagliano, with his 18 millimeter mouthpiece. I
suspect Conn switched to it in production because so many 6Ds were sold to
youngsters probably using small mouthpieces. My theory, anyway.

Sorry Bill if you thought I was putting the knock on 6Ds...that was my attempt at making feeble humor at the Pepsi/Coke feud that was going on. I have many students that are using them, they do play well in tune despite looking pretty much like the horn Major Charles Emmerson Winchester had run over in the MASH episode.(again, my poor attempt at humor) Anyone ever see an old school horn that didn't look like it hadn't been run over? I know that they were designed as a professional horn and you guys that play them are very loyal to them. I have seen much worse horns brought into my studio by students, (anything Chinese!) That is the hard part, when a parent buys their kid a horn before they begin studying with me (or any other teacher for that fact) and they wonder why the valves are so poor. In my opinion those horns are good for only two things, using them as a boat anchor or a door stop...

Walt Lewis

---