Hmm I seemed to click something that sent the email before I was finished.
Anyway.

I am going to be learning the entire piece with my quartet in case we ever have
the oppurtunity to perform the whole work, but for now we are planning on only
performing the first movement(as per our wind ensemble conductor).
A few things that might help...  Prepare very early for a piece of this
magnitude.  I started learning the music last april.  Granted, I dind't play
much this summer but when I did, it always had some schumann.  When playing
first try to expend as little energy as possible, that is, there is no need for
you to ever really play that loud or have to lead with your sound.  Check out
the chicago recording to here what I mean.  Play an edition with the parts
reworked to have a rest.  The first part still will be very challenging and
high.   When you double the 2nd horn, there is a few instances where you can
simply leave out a note or a whole phrase.  If you don't play a descant often,
then play it often now to get used to it.  It's a different horn, it's not
quite as easy as picking it up and playing it if you're not used it.  This
would be my third year playing the same descant horn so it's not too difficult
for me to pick it up and play it, but it was for a while.  And lastly, leave
nothing to chance.  Hitting the E's "most of the time" isn't really good
enough.  I barely have any room to  talk considering my only recent solid E.

Chris again