I enjoyed reading Hans Pizka's recent post about 'Lip Size' (and other
physical attributes associated with horn playing) - Hans' views were very
calm and reasoned, and learned thru a lifetime of professional experience.

Of course there is the occasional 'exception' (horn player) who does very
well regardless of having less than optimal physical characteristics - but
there are many more who have tried and failed to reach the pro level.

Regarding the '5 Tips' from the SBO web site - it is important to remember
that the goal is to have the students learn an instrument that is suited to
them given some very general (but true) guidelines. A teacher WANTS the
student to do well, so the teacher is inclined to help the student find an
instrument that will allow success. If a student has a strong desire to
play a certain instrument, then I hope the teacher would allow it. But, if
after a reasonable period, a student is obviously not suited to a
particular instrument, the teacher should help (not force) the student to
try something else.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
amateur player