Paul - if I remember my high school physics, I believe you are correct.  To state is
anothe way, the Doppler effect is only heard by the stationary listener as the sound
source moves towards him/her, then past him/her. The source of the sound will only
perceive a steady tone.  Incidentally, this can help one understand the theory of
general relativity as it describes the time discrepancies experienced by a space
traveler and an observer on the ground. (I've been reading my Isaac Asimov essays once
again - it can make you a little overwhelmed to think that you may actually be able to
somewhat understand the universe.)
paxmaha

Paul Mansur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Monday, November 17, 2003, at 11:29 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Yet we know there is a Doppler effect.

It is my understanding that the Doppler effect is heard only when there
is motion by the sound source (toward or away from) the point of
perception, or vice versa, when the point of perception moves in
relation to the sound source.
CORdially, Paul Mansur