I don't quite follow how mechanically it could be. When strings are used the
force is always in the same direction. For mini-balls how could the force be
as equally dispersed?

Schmid has a great article on this:

<A
HREF="http://www.corno.de/schmid/deu-eng/mechanik.htm";>http://www.corno.de/schmid/deu-eng/mechanik.htm</A>

If you'll notice the angle of advantage on ball-linkages vary from 135
degrees either direction. String always has a uniform angle of advantage at 90
degrees. (Those from their physics days remember 90 degrees is the best angle to
apply torque.)

Also with miniballs, it takes forever to unattach and put back on when I do
rotor repair, and it is one more oil you sometimes need to carry in your case
as well as more you have to oil. It takes me about one minute to fully string
all four valves. Miniballs take me a lot longer.

Finally with miniballs the angle of the spatula is pretty much fixed isn't
it? With string you can put the level of spatula to anything you want within
reason, and some even prefer the pinky valve raised a little bit to make it
easier to hit.

String is the thing for me :)

-William