In a message dated 12/6/2003 6:17:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, Valkhorn writes:

> Oh yes, and if you always have a prepared section of string and a small
> screwdriver in your case (I do all the time) you can fix
> the problem in a few
> seconds

I'm experimenting with spectrum fishing line.  Since it's half the size of equivalent
strength dacron, I double it up and string with two strands.  I figure it to be highly
unlikely that both strands would break at once, so one strand breaking should alert me
to restring the valve.  I've had them on several horns for about a year now, and
haven't seen any sign of wear.  I've been warned that spectrum can break in unusual
ways and that it dosen't withstand UV as well as dacron.  I have a horn that's been
strung with the same set of 36# dacron for at least 35 years with no appreciable wear.
 I keep spare strings and a tiny screw driver tucked into the hand guard, but I'm
determined to see how long they last.  I've worn a hole in the bell over the same
period, so they will probably out last me, and the horn.