Not on Bruckner 4 just yet but I have had many trecherous soli in the middle
of orchestra settings even sitting on first chair. Yes, not all solos are on
first horn either.

Full solo's are even worse. I'm soloing the Rosetti 5 concerto in E mind you
(all of it) in two months with full orchestra. I will be a little nervous, and
yes it's routine to be nervous. That's not an easy piece either. But I've
practiced enough that I know I can play it cold. The same way was with my recital
(of which I played Rosetti 5, Francaix's Divertimento and even a beautiful
transcription of Faure by Daniel Bourge). I didn't pick easy pieces and I didn't
walk out on stage unprepared. I wasn't nervous.

For me I don't get nervous ever unless I don't practice something... and if I
don't practice something or am unprepared I'm a fool to myself and have every
right to be scared.

But if you've practiced and you know how to play it your concentration will
be on the piece and it will pull you through. I mean I never go into something
unprepared, and that is my point. Not only should you be prepared with your
lips and knowledge of music, but also with the proper tools to fix your
hobby-horse.

I never get nervous if I know without a doubt that the F will be there. It's
the same in Strauss 1. Just know you can play it cold and you'll do fine.

Of course it requires lots of practice, repetition, and woodshedding.

-William