Horn celebrities?

Here a few more in line with great music:

The German tenor, Fritz Wunderlich (1930-1966), studied horn at the Freiburg
Music Academy from 1950 to 1955.  I always thought that his amazing breath
control and beautiful phrasing came from his horn playing.  Just listen to
his recordings of "Il mio tesoro" or "Ich baue ganz" to hear what I mean.

When the American soprano Evelyn Lear (b.1926) was a student at Hunter
College, NYU and Juilliard she studied piano, composition, horn, percussion
and voice. It was always a treat to hear her in recital, in opera or in
concert with orchestra.  A great Bluebeard's Castle with husband Thomas
Stewart comes to mind as well as an elegant Berg "Sieben Fruehe Lieder".

Cheers,
Steven Ovitsky
www.sotone.com