On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Steven Ovitsky wrote:

> The German tenor, Fritz Wunderlich (1930-1966), studied horn at the
> Freiburg Music Academy from 1950 to 1955.  I always thought that his
> amazing breath control and beautiful phrasing came from his horn
> playing.  Just listen to his recordings of "Il mio tesoro" or "Ich baue
> ganz" to hear what I mean.

What a perfect intro for me to plug (again) various vocal collection books
that include piano accompaniment on CD.  Hornists can play along with them
and have great fun, at least from playing great music not intended for
horn.

In particular, the Hal-Leonard book, Mozart Arias for Tenor Voice contains
the two arias that Steve mentions, out of ten arias total.  When you play
through 'Ich Baue Ganz', you will believe that you are playing a lost
Mozart horn concerto.  It is even pitched in Eb.

There are many such books with CD included; they cost about $20.
Downside: there are generally no separate solo parts, so you have to turn
pages a lot.  Upside: you will get very good at transposing to C.  In this
particular Mozart book you will want to transpose down, but there are
other books which are low enough to transpose up and really sing it out.

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }