There was David Grey who played principle in the LSO
after Tuckwell. He came to Canada in the early 70s to
conduct.  Haven't heard of him since.

Eric James

I don't know if it's the same David Grey, but the time frame is right:
There was a David Grey who conducted the Newfoundland (then St. John's) Symphony Orchestra from about 1977 into the early 80's. He was a horn player, but hadn't played in a few years. Nonetheless he blew us all away when he picked up his horn again and played a Mozart Concerto with the group.
He also inaugurated a series of chamber music and "experimental" music concerts with members of the orchestra and others.
He left St. John's for Florida (I don't recall exactly where) to teach and conduct. I've met him by chance once or twice since then, and have heard from the (then) concert master that he's doing quite well.

--
Kjellrun K. Hestekin
School of Music, MUN