In a message dated 1/16/2004 12:29:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Interesting sidelight: My daughter has a compensating Besson tuba. We had to
> have the leadpipe lowered so she didn't have to sit on a phonebook. For
> marching the leadpipe is high. I assume they used a harness
> to carry the beast.

I bought an old Besson compensating Eb tuba a few years ago for $100.  My son, an
excellent tuba player, has found that it will play all the way down to the pedal tones
playing false notes that are much better in tune than if he had a fourth valve.  This
compensating system actually has two tuning slides for each valve.  Almost a full
double.

The same guy also sold me a Boston rotary cornet, circa 1865, for $100.  He had second
thoughts, so he jacked the price up to $400 for an EG Wright contra bass saxhorn,
circa 1855, with an incredibly rare modern fourth valve to BBb.  The only time I've
seen Rob Stuart get really excited.  Both horns are excellent players and get a lot of
use.