Professor Pizka,
       Sadly were I live in the US, the band emphasis tends to be more on
marching season. Just having the students blasting out stand tunes, and doing the
marching show. Going out every weekday in the south texas summer heat of 90F+
after school from 3pm to 5pm.....( and alot of days NO  water breaks! About
85% of all the marching rehearsals in hot sun with no water break!)
       Concert season just has sectionals 2 days out of the week for each
section lasting only 1 hour....doesn't that say something?
       I hear my band director already talking about how he can't wait for
next marching season's show (never said that about concert season).
       But I guess thats how the band gets their funding from the school. I
guess people like to see a band march at half time show of a football game.
       Thank God I'm in a youth symphony that can actually make music.

       Michael