At 11:32 AM 4/2/2004, you wrote:
Hello Margaret,
your emphatic letter about the importance of the band activity reminds
me, that there was (long time ago) a enormous movement here in Europe
(Austria, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Hungary) regarding putting
all in uniforms, marching & marching again. Music was involved, but the
emphasis of this music bands was on making music not marching. They
marched where they had to march, but if they played at the sports field,
they stood in place & played the music. It was not necessary to memorize
as they read their music from sheet music, even while marching they had
the mini music stand as a clip-on on their instruments.

They received the marching drill in schools as some rhythmic drill in
the sports lessons or later in the military. But youth bands were not
drilled as your bands perhaps. Then the regime changed & all kids had to
join certain government controlled organisations (I should be very
careful with my words here to avoid misunderstanding) and marched again.
So with the progress of education years, the young folk (ooops, that was
one of the names) was prepared to join the war machine.

We all know the outcome from history.

I can't believe you would make such a comparison between marching bands in public education and the Nazi movement in Germany. That is such an outrageous statement that even I cannot fathom to what depth you sink in this belief.

I guess, we should initiate an initiative to open the mind in the
communities, to open the mind of the school directors, committees, band
instructors etc. to put more emphasis on the musical quality of the
bands, to avoid this blaring blast, combine good quality of playing with
good quality of the band ballet (ha, ha !). There are so many
similarities. Even in Europe "one had to belong to a band", if living in
a small community. But all depends, how things are arranged.

If anyone needs to initiate an invitation to open the mind in communities,
I believe it is you, Prof. Pizka, who most in need of this. It certainly appears
to me that you believe that there is no good music unless it is done in a
manner you feel is appropriate with no consideration for any other means.

I apologize to the entire list for this conversation. However, I also apologize
to you, Prof. Pizka, because I have really lost all respect for your thoughts
on this topic.

Margaret

Margaret Dikel JCCSO Librarian / Horn 11218 Ashley Drive, Rockville MD 20852 301-881-0122 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

_______________________________________________ post: [EMAIL PROTECTED] set your options at http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/archive%40jab.org