To clarify it: gulden means golden. There was also the "dukat", finally
of 3,49 grs gold at 986/1000. The name "ducat" or "ducatus" deriving
from "duce" or "doge" or "duke" as first produced by Duke Dandolo in
Venice in the late 13th century.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of John Baumgart
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 3:26 AM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Slide Lubricants

Actually, they were known as "Joachimsthaler guldengroschen," with
"guldengroschen" referring to the type of coin (enough silver's worth of
groschen to be worth a gold gulden).  St. Joachim's valley was an early
16th
century silver boom area, which bode well for the count when he was
allowed
to mint coins.  The Joachimsthaler guldengroschen were not the first
such
coins, however, although they were the most widely produced and
circulated,
becoming the standard silver coin in Europe.  In 1486, Duke Sigismund of
Tyrol coined guldengroschen bearing his portrait, but they weren't
widely
accepted or minted in the vast quantities as the Joachimsthaler
guldengroschen.  Had they been, instead of dollars, we'd probably be
paying
for our slide lubricants with "ziggies."

John Baumgart