If I spoke of Strauss, I meant Richard not Johann.

Seriously, why do so many of you point on Wagner as an anti-semite (he
was, off course) & not to his perfect dramatic music.

Eventually, I played Tristan last night in Chemnitz (which you might not
name a communist city because itīs name was changed to Karl-Marx-Stadt
while under communist regime until 1989), and I felt, one could leave
off even the singers without harming this greatest of all single operas.
But one needs the right education & the natural feeling, but feeling
elevated from profane feeling to an higher perhaps "Milky Way" level, if
you understand that. Wagner took history very serious (see
Meistersinger, Tannhaeuser, Rienzi), used old sagas as stories for his
operas (Lohengrin, Flying Dutchman, Ring, Tristan, Parsifal).

His anti Semitism has nothing to do with his operatic creations. He
paved the way for modern music, when he composed Tristan.

Mozart did not take himself superior or take himself too seriously. He
often fooled around, because he understood how superior he was. He
composed without compromise & hated imperfection.

Richard Strauss - you did not comment on him - was able to create a
short cut transition from any tonality to another tonality. He followed
Wagners path in the dramatic music but created an immense amount of new
sounds without asking for very cheap clap-clap effects. The mpc popping
sounds like the crack of a whip. We have a percussion effect instrument
producing such sounds. Why (ab) using the horn ?

Even Mahler using some special effects, he did it with taste & very
effectful. The difference to todayīs composers (not all of them) is it,
that Mahler had enough good & excellent melodic ideas which could endure
the rather small amount of special effects. Whatīs annoying with Mahler
? Well, his music is filled with special instructions so to press the
orchestra into a mere corset. More freedom would be better.

Last word: if you analyze contemporanean compositions, you might find
much more more or less cheap effects than real substance.