Why didn't Orlando Gibbons write Brahms' 4th Symphony? Why didn't Montiverdi write Beethoven's 9th? (Come to think of it, why DID Beethoven write it?)

But seriously, each Composer lived in his own Time, and wrote for that Time, or slightly ahead of it.
Progress (or regress depending on your opinion) is unstoppable.
Thankfully, the current Historical Period is unlikely to become known to future musicologists as "the Mouthpiece Popping Period" (MPP for short).

Mouthpiece popping is one of the lesser Abuses which modern day composers expect Hornplayers to do to your instruments. I remember a man called Flammer who wrote in his Notes. "hit the instrument with a metal object".

What are these people thinking of?? They must be completely stupid!

(When we complained, he said " well just hit the music stand with your mouthpiece".

Doh!!)

I often wish I could travel forwards 100 years in time and see how much of today's stuff is still being played.

best Wishes,

Benno