But, oil is a very complicated chemical. It's composed of thousands of
organic/synthetic compounds. There are different qualities of Kerosene as well, some
are obviously more pure than others.

As to Holton, Al Cass oils, I don't advise using them. Holton oil dries out
very rapidly, and Al Cass oil I find is intended more for piston valves, not
rotary valves. Remember, piston valves don't have to worry about more than one
type of oil usually. Rotary valves require two or three types of oil.

I mean if all oil was the same, why don't we use good old fashioned Venezuela
Crude in our horns? Or how about Motor Oil?

Bottom line, and on a serious note, spending more on oil is never a bad idea.
Invest in the good stuff (Hetman, Rika, etc.) because you're talking about an
instrument which is your livelihood. If you buy a BMW or a Porsche, you can't
throw in Sam's Club motor oil or the normal 87 octane gasoline - you have to
spring for the expensive motor oil and the expensive 90+ Octane gas.

A horn is the same way - you get what you pay for in terms of valve oil.
Spring for the good stuff. I find that compared to Hetman Synthetics for example
(yes I speak very highly of them) Lamp Oil is a cheap and sketchy alternative.

-William

In a message dated 9/8/2004 6:55:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,