Thank you all for your input regarding your experience of sound changes
after silver plating your instrument, but I was not interested to hear
your experience, as I have my own allready.

I was & I am still very interested about the rationale behind the sound
change as explained, so to know more about the physical process, which
changes the sound appearantly. What happen with the instrument when
plating ?

I know already, that 5 Amp. per 16 square inches (SI)  electricity is
used for silver plating & 2 Amp for gold plating.

The technician told me, that the result a bi-metal could cause the
effect ??? Harder metal (brass) plus the softer metal surface (silver &
gold) ???

Off course, the instrument is cleaned before the process: polished &
ultra sonic degreased. But it was clean before, as I keep my instruments
clean.

The sound changes did occur with my 23 years old double as well with the
brand new Viennese single. Well, brand new means, it has been used just
for very few performances to be tested, the surface still shiny. So to
make all clear. The old double was maintained perfectly, regularly
cleaned inside & outside, not dents, no plaques. Just lacquer stripped.
It was also a perfect horn when lacquere, but I got into difficulties
when moved from the usual place in the pit to the brass side, sitting in
front of the timps & playing verse the "sack" below stage or against the
timps.

Scientists, you are asked for an explanation.

Thanks in advance.

Prof.Hans Pizka, Pf.1136
D-85541 Kirchheim - Germany
Fax: 49 89 903-9414 Phone: 903-9548