On Thursday, October 7, 2004, at 11:59 AM, Steve Freides wrote:

A question: why is the fingering for concert D above middle C (written as A
above middle C for horn in F if I've got this right) not given as open (no
valves) in the fingering chart in my beginners horn book for B-flat horn?

Hi, and welcome, even if you do think in concert pitch. In a nutshell, there are lots of alternate fingerings all over the horn and you need to know them. The concert D, written a' for horn in F, played on a Bb horn is a fifth harmonic of the open Bb horn. This note is about 14 cents flat because of the acoustic laws in force. It will be beautifully in tune with a concert Bb, f' played on the Bb horn but out of tune with the piano, a consequence of our out-of-tune tuning of a tempered scale. The pitch will be higher, closer to the piano if played with valves 1-2 as that note is a sixth harmonic of the root, concert G. What is extremely important for you is to learn the harmonic series of overtones from a root or pedal tone of each fingering on the horn. You will learn that an open dominant 7 chord is lovely on four open horns, but quite raunchy if forced into equal temperament. One of the great beauties of this beast of an instrument is that you can control pitches with valve choices, with your right hand in the bell, and with your lip, enabling you to bend notes into tune with the instruments you are playing with. All the fifth and tenth harmonics are flat. Sometimes they are the best way to go, and sometimes they must be altered. Don't give up, though. Keep going and you shall be rewarded with some interesting experiences and have fun on the way! (Have you noticed yet, that the 1st line e', eb', and the d' under first line are also flat on the F horn? That is because they are fifth harmonics on the F horn.)

CORdially,  Paul Mansur